Celebrities fall into two categories: those who trail behind fashion trends and those who blaze the trail. While the former group is larger, the latter is a select few who will forever be hailed as fashion trailblazers.
- Little Black Dress (LBD) by Audrey Hepburn: Audrey Hepburn’s iconic black dress in the movie “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” set a trend for elegant, simple black dresses, becoming a wardrobe staple for women worldwide.
2. Ripped Jeans by Debbie Harry: The lead singer of Blondie, Debbie Harry, popularised the trend of distressed and ripped jeans in the punk rock scene, creating a rebellious and edgy fashion statement.
3. The Bikini by Brigitte Bardot: Actress Brigitte Bardot famously wore a bikini in the 1956 film “And God Created Woman,” sparking a craze for the two-piece swimsuit and revolutionising beachwear.
4. Off-the-Shoulder Tops by Princess Diana: Princess Diana was known for her elegant and timeless style. Her off-the-shoulder tops and dresses set a trend that remains popular for its feminine and sophisticated look.
5. Converse Sneakers by James Dean: Actor James Dean’s association with Converse Chuck Taylor All-Stars helped propel these sneakers into a fashion staple, especially among rebellious youth, making them an enduring footwear choice.
6. Bohemian Style by Sienna Miller: Actress Sienna Miller’s bohemian-inspired wardrobe, characterised by flowing dresses, fringe, and eclectic patterns, revitalised the boho-chic trend, influencing fashionistas seeking a free-spirited look.
7. The Power Suit by Diane Keaton: Diane Keaton’s androgynous style in the film “Annie Hall” popularised the tailored, oversized blazer and slacks ensemble, redefining power dressing for women in the 1970s.
8.Turtleneck Sweaters by Steve Jobs: Apple co-founder Steve Jobs’ signature black turtleneck became synonymous with his minimalist style, sparking a trend for the sleek and simple look in the tech and fashion worlds.
9. Statement Sunglasses by Elton John: Elton John’s flamboyant eyewear choices, characterised by bold colors and extravagant designs, became a signature style, inspiring a trend for statement sunglasses as a fashion accessory.
10. Athleisure by Rihanna: Rihanna’s embrace of sportswear as everyday fashion, blending athletic wear with casual attire, propelled the athleisure trend, encouraging comfort and functionality without compromising style.
These celebrities not only showcased these styles but also influenced fashion choices globally, leaving a lasting impact on trends that continue to evolve and inspire contemporary fashion.